Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15, 1912

100 Years ago was when the Titanic sank into the Atlantic Ocean.  1500 people lost their lives.  I always knew it was a sad story and I've always been mesmerized by it.  Oddly drawn to it.  What a terrible tragedy.  Ever since the movie came out I was obsessed.  I watched every documentary on the ship, I checked out hundreds of  books from the library about it, and on my bucket list I wrote "see the Titanic".  So many questions and mysteries.  I went and saw the re-release in 3D and it took my breath away....it's a beautiful and sad movie yes but just watching the boat rise out of the ocean and thinking....this REALLY happened!  How terrifying would that be?



Ida Straus was aboard the ship with her husband Isidor who was a   co-owner of Macy's department store.  On the night of the sinking Isidor and Ida were seen standing near Lifeboat No.8 in the company of Mrs. Straus's maid, Ellen Bird.  Although the officer in charge of the lifeboat was willing to allow the elderly couple to board the lifeboat with Miss Bird, Isidor Straus refused to go while there were still women and children aboard the ship.  He urged his wife to board but she refused saying, "We have lived together many years.  Where you go, I go."  Her words were witnessed by those already in the lifeboat.  Isidor and Ida Straus were last see alive sitting together quietly on deck chairs on Titanic's boat deck when a huge wave washed over them.  

Such sweet moments that exist in the movie were really real.  It's one of my favorite movies of all time and at end when they are reunited at the clock....ugly crying.

"1,500 people went into the sea when Titanic sank from under us.  There were twenty boats floating nearby, and only one came back.  One.  Six were saved from the water.  Six.  Out of 1500.  Afterward, the 700 people left in the boats had nothing to do but wait....wait to die, wait to live, wait for an absolution which would never come."
-Rose "Titanic"

I love seeing all the pictures of Leo and Kate too.  They were magic on the screen together.  So obsessed with them.



And.....just because

1 comment:

ODCFkids said...

you are just my favorite person.
thank you for being alive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...