Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rich and Awesome

"Do you want to be a loser or do you want to be rich and awesome like that guy from Maroon 5?" this was the question posed to me by a friend whilst we were talking about unemployment. Clearly I would rather be rich and awesome (and marry that guy from Maroon 5) which is why....
I GOT A JOB!!!
Yes I have joined the land of the employed! And no my new job is not being professionally good looking even though I know that was your first thought. My aunt Becky, who is a home health nurse and awesome, called me and told me about this place where she visits one of her patients. It's this huge mansion like house that was turned into an elderly care place. They have 8 residents. Basically it's a bed and breakfast for old people. I get to go in and help everyone get up and dressed. Then I make breakfast and then while the old people sit and watch "The Price is Right" I wash dishes and make beds and vacuum and do other household chores. Then I make lunch and serve them and then I go home. It's kind of like being a housewife...like "Jon and Kate Plus 8" except without the drama and the book. Maybe "Vanessa Plus 8 Geriatrics" hey TLC I smell a winner...or maybe that's a dirty depends like the ones I change ALL day. Strangely enough I've only worked there 5 days and I'm already in love with these people. They are so adorable and have such fun personalities. Like the husband and wife who always sit together and drink their cokes with every meal or the woman who every morning when I'm helping her get dressed looks at me and says "Oh wow you're pretty. I mean it. I think you're the prettiest thing I've ever met!" (clearly she hasn't met a lot...). There is one woman who I don't think likes me very much. Every morning when I go to get her up she is quite sassy with me. Fortunately for me she takes a nap after breakfast and when she wakes up it's like she's forgotten that she doesn't like me because she is much friendlier. I come home everyday EXHAUSTED but so happy. So here's to being rich and awesome or maybe just slightly less poor but totally fabulous.

2 comments:

The Miranda's said...

congrats on the new job! I'm sure all the "old" people find you awesome! I need someone like you at my house...: )

I bet you won't have the stories like you had from the haunted floor in the hospital!

Jaime said...

Yeah. Congrats on the job. I don't think I ever told you this but Nathan and I were the night managers at an assisted living place for about 7 months....oh the stories we could tell you. But the best part was those people who changed our lives. We saw a lot, sometimes too much but the stories make us laugh, even today. I can't wait to read about your adventures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...