Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fond Farewell


Today was the memorial service for Michael Jackson. I thought it was completely beautiful and touching. Some highlights for me were...
Maya Angelou wrote a poem for MJ and it was phenomenal some of my favorite part of it...

Without notice, our dear love can escape our doting embrace. Sing our songs among the stars and walk our dances across the face of the moon.

He thrived with passion and compassion, humor and style. We had him whether we know who he was or did not know, he was ours and we were his.

We had him, beautiful, delighting our eyes.

His hat, aslant over his brow, and took a pose on his toes for all of us.

And we laughed and stomped our feet for him.

We were enchanted with his passion because he held nothing. He gave us all he had been given.

We are missing Michael.

But we do know we had him, and we are the world.

Then Brooke Shields spoke saying how they were very good friends and bonded over the fact they both had to grow up fast but when they were together they were just two little kids having fun and laughing. She compared Michael Jackson to "The Little Prince" using a passage from the book...

"What moves me so deeply about this sleeping little prince is his loyalty to a flower--the image of a rose shining within him like a flame within a lamp, even when he's asleep... And I realized he was even more fragile than I thought. Lamps must be protected. A gust of wind can blow them out. Here is my secret. It is very simple: One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

She closed by saying MJ always saw things with his heart. It was incredibly heartfelt and moving.
The musical tributes were amazing as well. Mariah Carey singing "I'll Be There", Jermaine Jackson singing "Smile" and my personal favorite Usher sang "Gone Too Soon"



All in all it was a beautiful and fitting tribute. Hopefully Michael and his family can now rest in peace. I will admit that I bawled. You could just feel the sincerity in the feelings expressed and his daughter spoke and broke everyone's hearts. I think people forgot he was a father as well.
Beautiful. He will be greatly missed by many including me.
Long live the King of Pop. The greatest entertainer to ever live. (In my humble opinion)


1 comment:

Caren said...

Really nice Vanessa. And I LOVE LOVE this last photo!!!!111 Amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...