Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Perfect Valentine's Day

I don't know if any of you have noticed but I'm not the "lovey-dovey" type. Shocked? Yeah...didn't think so. In my deepest heart of hearts though I am a secret romantic and I do have that fearless belief in happily ever after. So instead of being a "love hater" (remember...I'm working on that)- I decided to take this special day...which is devoted completely to love (although in reality it might just be an excuse for retailers to jack up prices- sorry no more cynicism I promise)...I am going to share with you my recipe for the perfect Valentines Day.

1. No flowers
Do not buy your love muffin flowers on this day. I promise most girls would rather have flowers on a random Tuesday then know you only bought them because you felt like you had to- plus take the exorbitant amount of money you would spend on flowers and buy something that they can enjoy long after flowers have died.

You know someone who I really admire named Holly Golightly once said "You can always tell what kind of a person a man really thinks you are by the earrings he gives you"....I'm just sayin.

2. Stay home
Or don't go to a restaurant. EVERYONE goes to a restaurant. They charge you more, everywhere is packed, they speed you in and out so fast you can hardly enjoy each other AND it's boring and cliche. Wouldn't it be so much more fun to cook a meal together? The answer is yes. It's less expensive, more fun, and BONUS you can eat in your pajamas if you want. As an added twist you could each prepare a dish that you feel "describes" the other person. It's more creative and you'll probably end up laughing.

3. The right movie
There are 2 different kinds of Valentines Day movies out there- the ones you watch when you have someone to watch with and the one you watch when you are by yourself. Valentines day is NOT an excuse to feel sorry for yourself ladies! And please leave Ben and Jerry alone- they are two guys who will only make you feel bad about yourself later.
Top 5 movies when you are in L-O-V-E
5. Ever After
Such a great movie. Romantic without being mushy and I love Drew Barrymore in this movie AND the great wardrobe.

4. Romeo + Juliet
Oh Leonardo how I love you. I really love this movie. If you've never seen it- all the dialogue is actual language and words of the original play but they put a modern twist on it. The colors, the scenery, the acting....amazing movie. They also have this brilliant remix of the song "When Doves Cry" by Prince in it...which that alone is worth watching it...and did I mention Leonardo DiCaprio is in it?

3. The Princess Bride
I love this movie. So sweet and funny and wonderful. "As you wish"...oh if all guys could just take up that motto.

2. Love Actually
This movie always plays at Christmas but I love it all year round. Different people on different walks of life all falling in love. The part where Hugh Grant is dancing to "Jump for My Love" is one those scenes I rewind and play back because I envy his dance moves so much.

and number 1 goes to....

1. The Notebook
Probably one of my favorite movies ever. Such an epic love story. The acting is brilliant and those old people never fail to reduce me to tears. A beautiful story and movie.

And for my single ladies (or anyone really...)

5. The Wedding Date
Yes this movie is romantic but it is also just so great. I will watch and immediately re-watch this movie. It also proves that love isn't perfect. The bride to be had a secret relationship with the groom's best friend aka her sister's ex fiance....talk about complicated and if you are feeling lonely for a relationship just comfort yourself with the thought that the hot guy in the movie is a male prostitute and you might feel better about yourself.

4. Sixteen Candles
One of the greatest movies of all time hands down. So hilarious and will make you happy you are not in high school anymore.

3. 27 Dresses
Will remind you not to be like Tess in the movie...pining after some guy who only uses you. Be strong and if you want to believe in true love then do it! But believe in yourself too (and that right guy will come along eventually....)

2. Another Cinderella Story
I recently saw this movie and seriously fell in love with it. Selena Gomez is like a totally better version of Miley Cyrus and the story line is actually really cute. The guy in the movie is actually really cute too. There is some awesome dancing in the movie and singing as well- the dialogue is cute...not cheesy like other "teen movies" and the girl is strong and believes in her dreams and knows she doesn't need the hot guy to be what she wants...but having him around doesn't hurt. The songs in this movie are so catchy. Please if you have not seen this movie...do...and invite me over because I want to watch it again.
and 1 is.....
Breakfast at Tiffanys.
My favorite movie of ALL time. The lead character (Holly Golightly...my idol) is so heartbreakingly sad and lonely and afraid but pretends not to be. The guy is the same way and they find each other and teach each other how to love. The fashion and acting of Audrey Hepburn are timeless. It will teach you that even if you are afraid to love you have to anyway. And if all else fails....there is always Tiffanys. Nothing bad could ever happen to you in a place like that.

Now back to the list....
4. The right music
Music is one of my favorite things. I thought I would share with you some of my favorite love songs. Some may be unconventional but they are all wonderful.
Let It Be Me: Ray LaMontagne
After Tonight: Justin Nozuka
Halo: Beyonce
Hazy: Rosi Golan
I'd Rather Be With You: Joshua Radin
The Guy That Says Goodbye to You (Is Out of His Mind): Griffin House
How Deep is Your Love: The Bird and the Bee
1,2,3,4: Plain White T's
My Life Woud Suck Without You: Kelly Clarkson (seriously such a cute song...a little edgier way to say you love someone....)
You Make It Real: James Morrison
Love is Hard: James Morrison- ok I need to defend this choice...at first listen it may sound a little negative it says "Love takes hostages- gives them pain Gives someone the power to hurt you again and again and it kicks so hard, it breaks your bones, cuts so deep, it hits your soul, tears your skin and makes your blood flow- it's better that you know...love is hard"...but at the end it says "if it was easy it wouldn't mean nothing"- what a great love song.

and last but not least you need the perfect date. It could be anyone. A friend, a lover, a sibling, your kids even...but someone you care about to share your love with.

My choices this year include...

Brandon Barash

Matt Cassel



One plays a bad boy/mobster on General Hospital and the other plays professional football...
I can't choose between the two of them? Votes???

But in all reality I really do have a great Valentine. He is sweet- always asking me how my day went, he always tells me how beautiful I look- he even loves my shoes. He is so funny he can make me laugh until I cry. He's an amazing artist, a pro at Mario Kart and a fabulous dancer. He is also quite the heartbreaker.


Who needs a man when you have this?


Whether you are in love or not...I hope you all have a great Valentines Day...just remember that you shouldn't need a day to tell people how you feel- but in this crazy life it's nice to have a day to remind us.

3 comments:

The Miranda's said...

I love this blog! You are quite the creative writer....also, I love the pics of Kian1 So cute!

ODCFkids said...

aww you're brother is awesome! remember when he used to cry at the very thought of me coming over? ha.

also, where does Orange County rank on movies to watch on valentines day?

"you better not... you.. better.. not..."

Caren said...

Great blog and I agree with 95% of the Valentine's day advice. Good job <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...