Friday, June 12, 2009

To My Best Friend

Today marks the 23rd Birthday of my best friend
Beth
or Bethie as I call her

To commemorate this special occasion I would like to tell you a story.

Once upon a time there was a girl named Vanessa. In her junior year of high school she was going through some hard times. She was fighting with her best friend and her other best friend was moving to Utah. Now we all know this is a critical time in a high school girls life...she would need a best friend. What was she to do?
Then along came a girl named Beth. She was from England and if we're being honest...she was a little crazy. Vanessa thought Beth hated her (and later found out that Beth actually did hate her for about a week) but then as fate would have it...on the day of high school registration Vanessa received a phone call. She could barely understand the girl on the other end of the line because her British accent was so thick. It was Beth asking if Vanessa would go with her to registration and show her around. Of course Vanessa said yes because she had no other friends.
They met up and along for the ride were Vanessa's crazy parents. Vanessa figured that would be the last she saw of the British girl because her Dad would inevitably have scared her off.
Apparently British people can tolerate a lot of craziness.
Beth and Vanessa became wonderful friends.
Especially after they both fell head over heels for 2 football players.
It was pretty much all they talked about.
They eventually finished high school- went to their separate collages but always stayed the best of friends...(without the football players)

Over the years there were....
fights about: friends and American Idol vs. Red Wings games
tears about: friends and boys and silly drama
There was however a LOT of laughter about: friends, boys, silly drama, Olive Garden trips, silly made up songs, crawling out of cars in the middle of the night, trips to the park late at night, pretty much everything that happened on their trips to Michigan.

There were times when one or the other was having a hard time. These times involved ice cream (Coldstone) and a trip to the park or the airport for some much needed venting.
There were the traditional Monday nights involving ice cream (Coldstone....remember when the guys that worked there knew us?) and The Hills.
And then the fateful day happened...Beth met a boy. A summer boy. And everything changed. Vanessa had seen Beth date many boys - and she had kissed a few frogs...

From the minute Beth started talking about this boy...Vanessa knew he was different than all the others..
His name was Brett

and Beth fell madly and hopelessly in love with him.

Beth left Vanessa and moved to California to be with Brett and on June 14th 2007 Beth and Brett got married.

Now there are no more trips to get ice cream, crazy Olive Garden trips, driving around aimlessly or silly sleep overs.

But there are still phone calls involving venting, tears and a LOT of laughter. And now Beth will be having a baby and she will make the most AMAZING mom in the world.


Beth you will always be the best friend I have ever had. You know me better than most. You know exactly what I need to hear even if I don't want to hear it. You can always make me laugh and you will always be the one who just "gets" me. I love more than a friend but more like a sister.
Happy Birthday Best Friend!
Hope it's wonderful and I wish I could be there to celebrate with you!
(Happy birthday to her husband Brett as well...they share a birthday!)

I thought that in traditional fashion I would share some notes that Beth wrote me in High School.
*Beth it was hard finding one that didn't talk about how much drama was going on in Young Womens and how much we disliked certain people...

These crack me up for 3 reasons...
1. we were so silly
2. I read these and I can totally hear you saying all of these things
3. Could we have been more in "love" with those stupid boys?



Oh memories.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Ahhhh you are so sweet!! Thank you... I was cracking up just reading all of the funny crap that used to go on hahaha.... rolling out of the car hahahah what a night! Miss you tons -xox-

Caren said...

Wow, that was so awesome! Silly me, it made me tear up a little. Vanessa I am SO glad that you have such a great friend. And you're right she will be a great Mom. I love you both and I can't wait to see the two of you hanging out and laughing again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...