Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lifestyle of a PSP

Wow...what a week it has been and it is only Wednesday!!!
Here is a run down of the week's events...
Monday was my first official day at the hospital. I sat through 8 hours of orientation...listening to people talk...but I did bond with my table mates...2 RN's so I will never see them...but it was fun while it lasted.
Tuesday was just a nursing orientation so it was all the people who would be doing patient care. We listened a lot in the AM and in the PM we got to do these skill stations where we learned about code blues/crash carts isolation rooms moving and lifting patients AND tuberculosis mask fittings which were all very interesting and we got out really early. Let me tell you something though...both of these days started BEFORE 0700 (which is 7am for those of you unfamiliar with military time...which I am now VERY familiar with...) so I went directly from the hospital (in my HOT new scrubs that I bought...pictures to be posted later) to my other job at THE PARIS SALON and worked until 2100...got home at 2130 and then had a bunch of reading to do. I crashed right around 2245 and slept soundly until 0545 (you catching on now???)
Wednesday (today) which was really fun. We split into our acutal PSP class today. There are 9 of us and we had a blast. We started out the morning learning a lot of policies (yawn) and then learned about ostomys and emptying ostomy and foley bags (GROSS...if you don't know what that is...count yourself lucky). We breaked for lunch and THEN...the good stuff.
CHECKING GLUCOSE LEVELS
(aka blood sugar)
which we got to do with ACCUCHEC which is that finger prick thing you do at the Dr. office. I received one and gave one. I am happy to report that my glucose level was a 90 which is normal range. It was so cool. I practically felt like a DR.
Then we went over medical terminology/abbreviations.
Do you know what an MI stands for?
CBC?
b.i.d.?
FBS?
I do.
We had a little quiz at the beginning to see which terms we already knew and I was finished in like 2 minutes (before everyone else and I'm then only one in class with NO previous health care training). My instructor was really surprised when she was reading through it and was like "Vanessa...how do you know all this when you haven't even worked in the setting before? I'm impressed"...
My answer???
"Um..ER"
That's right DAD...one of my shows ACTUALLY came in handy for once.
So then I rushed from there today at 4:30 back to the salon where I will be until 9:00 or later...
I'm exausted.
Or maybe I just have S & S of exaustion?
Hmm...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...