I've been on this earth for 28 years.
For some reason this birthday made me reflect more than my others. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because I'm closer to 30 than I've ever been before (I'm choking back tears as I type that) and because that makes you think....what have I done with my life and what do I want to accomplish with the rest of my life. As I reflected I decided to make a list of 28 of the most important lessons I've learned.
1. Your job does not define you
2. Your marital status does not define you
3. Some people are just jerks
4. But some people are just misunderstood
5. Enjoy your time with your parents/family
6. Call your grandparents
7. Listen to them
8. You are the only one who decides how you feel about your body
9. Laughing so hard you can't breathe is still one of the best feelings
10. Your friends will occasionally be the worst...but so will you
11. Forgive always....forgive others, forgive yourself
12. People are not usually secretly in love with you
13. Don't watch "Footloose" just because everyone thinks it's weird you haven't
14. Always take your make up off before bed
15. A strong red lip can make you feel invincible
16. Dance as much as possible
17. Tell people what they mean to you. Even if it's uncomfortable...you will never regret it.
18. Don't spend your time and energy on people who don't return the gesture
19. If he doesn't text you back....life goes on
20. When you experience loss...it will feel like you are suffocating. You will not be able to breathe and you will feel like the world is literally caving in. It is not. And one day you will wake up and you will be breathing a bit easier. You will be stronger even if you can't fathom that in the moment. You will be ok.
21. If it makes you happy and it's not hurting others...do it.
22. Your siblings will always be your best friends
23. Drink water.
24. Don't be afraid to fail
25. Wear comfortable shoes
26. The ocean is the most healing place on the earth
27. Go outside and experience the beauty of the earth as much as possible
28. Above everything else....love yourself fiercely.
So here's to 28 years and more to come! I plan to continue to fill each day with joy and as much adventure as possible. Life is short.
And sometimes birthdays are hard.