Saturday, January 31, 2009

Best in Music 2008 (according to me)

I love music. I am constantly listening to it either actually or in my head. One of my biggest wishes is that I could walk around with a constant soundtrack to my life. Unfortunately that only happens in movies...but since I love music so much I am always keeping my eyes and ears out for new music and new artists. I frequently discover these amazing artists and then a year later EVERYONE starts listening to them (i.e. The Fray, Snow Patrol, Plain White T's just to name a few). I am known for making really great mixed CD's because I can find you new artists that you will like based on classic artists you like (I wish I got paid for that....)- I do it for Becky's clients all the time and we have fun doing it and when they come back loving the suggestions I made it just makes me feel good. Kind of like passing on a really amazing book that changed your life to a friend. Love it. So going back through 2008 I decided I would list my top 10 favorite albums of 2008 and some up-coming CD's and artists for you all to look out for...

10. Ok I kind of cheated and put 2 different albums for my number 10.
Leona Lewis: Spirit


Goldfrapp: Seventh Tree
2 totally different sounds but really great in their own ways...Leona Lewis has some powerhouse vocals!

9. P!nk: Funhouse

I think Pink is totally brilliant. She is beautiful, has an amazing voice, and an amazing ability to express herself through music. Her music is so personal and has such raw emotion. She sings about feelings that no one wants to talk about. I wish I was her.


8. Snow Patrol: A Hundred Million Suns

Snow Patrol's lyrics are poetry.


7. Rachel Yamagata: Elephants...Teeth Sinking Into Heart

Strange title I know but I love Rachel. She has such a beautiful quiet type of voice. Perfect for a rainy day.



6. The Killers: Day & Age

I love The Killers. Sometimes their songs are really quirky but I love the way they set the scene in a song. They describe a situation in such a cool way really painting a picture for you. One of my favorites on the album is a song called "A Dustland Fairytale" and just to give you a little snippet of what I was talking about lyrics wise "Long brown hair, and foolish eyes. He'd look just like you'd want him to-Some kind of slick chrome American prince. Blue Jean serenade Moon river what you do to me. I don't believe you. Saw Cinderella in a party dress, but she was looking for a nightgown. I saw the devil wrapping up his hands, he's getting ready for the showdown."
I love it.


5. Sugarland: Love on the Inside

If you like country music, if you don't like country music...you will LOVE Sugarland. Some of their songs are very twangy (actually just 2) but the rest of them are brilliant. Once again I am a slave to great lyrics. Sugarland describes exactly what I'm feeling in a beautiful way and Jennifer Nettles has a beautiful voice.


4. Lady GaGa: The Fame

Such a fun dance album. Great for turning up loud while cleaning or working out.


3. Ray LaMontagne: Gossip in the Grain

I love Ray. His voice is beautiful, his songs are soulful, and he writes songs that will fill you with such emotion you will literally weep and the beauty and sadness of it all.


2. Adele: 19

I can not say enough about Adele. Her voice and her music are rare and wonderful. Listen to her album immediately.


1. Taylor Swift: Fearless

It was a close call between this and Adele but in the end I gave it to Taylor because I put her CD in, play it all the way through without skipping a single one and no matter what kind of a mood I'm in I listen to them all. Her songs are fun, sad, sweet, brave, heartbreaking, powerful, nostalgic, hopeful, and realistic. She sings about feelings we have all had. Relationships we have all had, wished we had, or wished we hadn't. Girls (and guys so I hear) of all ages will love this CD. Listen to it and love it.

And for some artists/albums to be looking forward to...


The Fray: "The Fray"

I love them. Once again their lyrics are so amazing they give me chills. Before you get this album make sure to get their first one "How to Save a Life" and listen to my favorite song "Look After You" and you'll be hooked. All their songs are SO good.

The Bird and the Bee: "Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future"

Their cover of "How Deep is Your Love" is so beautiful and all their songs are great. One to definitely check out is "My Love" and "Love Letter to Japan"

Cat Power: "Dark End of the Street"

CatPower takes songs we all know and re-arranges them so you feel like you are hearing them for the first time. 2 of my favorites are Frank Sinatra's "New York" and Otis Redding's "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now). Check her out and hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Erin McCarly: "Love, Save the Empty"

I've been listening to her for about a year or so now and I have a feeling she is really going to take off. Some stand out tracks to me are "Pitter-Pat", "Pony (It's Ok), "Lovesick Mistake" and "Blue Suitcase"

I will update you as I come across good music. And if you want your own personalized mixed CD let me know- I'll give you the quiz.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...