Here we are again. We all know my feelings on 2016 but even the worst of years bring lessons...usually the worst of years brings the biggest lessons. So here are all the many important things I learned in 2016:
- Expectations are the biggest double edged swords. We are comforted in the belief that it is the truth, but it holds us back and keeps us from better possibilities
- Don't place all of your happiness in other people. The only person you can completely trust with that is yourself. If you don't look out for you no one will.
- Love doesn't always last, but if you keep your heart open you will always find someone to love again. You can't find your soulmate with your heart locked away
- Don't be afraid to ask for help. We all understand what it means to fall on rough times. Reach out to the people closest to you when you're in need.
- Don't take the people in your life for granted. Sometimes we are so worried about what goes on in our lives that we forget how much our presence means to our loved ones.
- Make everyday thanksgiving day. Not the food (even though we can all agree there are few things better than mashed potatoes) but the way you think about the world. Spend every day realizing just how many great things happen, so that when you're down on your luck you realize there is something to smile about.
- Sometimes you have to let people go. We want to hold on because we think our love and attention can solve everything, but then we have nothing left for ourselves. When someone leaves you drained after talking, or being with them, it's time to let go.
- Learn to accept your flaws. If you accept every part of yourself there will be nothing that can take you down. You will be more invincible than Achilles.
- Accept and acknowledge when you're wrong. When you take a step down and let go of your pride, and stop pretending to be infallible that when people will be most comfortable to approach you.
- Open up to people. Share your soul with them. If they are really meant to be in your life they will stay and accept that part of you (even the terrible ugly parts). The things that are really meant to happen, will.
Happy New Year friends and family. 2016 was incredibly challenging but I grew so much. Cheers to 2017.